Dr David Tuffley
Dr. David Tuffley is an accomplished public speaker and recognized international expert and published author in the fields of Leadership, Software Engineering and Technical Communication. He has 15 years industry experience before joining academia in 1999. His specialist skills include leadership, technical communication, analysis of business requirements, process mapping and optimization, quality management, documentation and training.
David is a part-time consultant with RedBay Consulting. He has consulted to the Australian Defence Department in documentation development and managing the risk of software intensive system development projects. Attracted $174,650 in competitive external funding for training services (2004 – 2008).
- PhD, Software Engineering, Griffith University, 2009.
- M Phil, Information Systems, Griffith University, 2005.
- Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, Griffith University, 2005.
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Anthropology, Rhetoric, University of Queensland. 1982.
- Associate Diploma in Health Surveying, Queensland Institute of Technology, 1979.
Fields of Expertise
- Leadership training.
- Organisational change management.
- Business analysis, managing software requirements.
- Technical communication (user, technical and training documentation).
- Software process management.
- Ethics in IT training.
Selected Project Experience
- Capability Maturity Model, Integration (CMMI) Project. Transition partner with Carnegie-Mellon University in the US to develop an Australian version of the CMMI for use by the Australian Department of Defence. The purpose was to improve the reliability of acquiring software intensive systems (addressing problems experienced with the Collins Class submarine, Over the Horizon Radar, etc). This project is sponsored by the Australian and US Departments of Defence.
- Defence Acquisition Policy Handbook. Assisted with the development of a defence acquisition policy handbook for DSWAR (Defence Software Acquisition Reform), a division of the DMO (Defence Materials Organisation, formerly the Defence Acquisition Organisation)
- Software Quality Management consulting for Boeing Australia. Development and presentation of software quality management training for Boeing Australia's Quality assurance Department.
- ISO 15504 Software Process Capability assessments. Performed ISO 15504 assessments (similar to ISO 9000 audits) for multiple Brisbane software development organisations, as part of a Software Engineering Australia (Qld) sponsored project to stimulate the Queensland IT development industry.
Keynote Speeches, Seminars and Presentations
- Invited to speak at AHFE (Applied Human factors & Ergonomics, Organized by Purdue University. 21-25 July 2012, San Francisco, USA).
- Keynote Speaker (expenses paid) at PMOZ (8th Project Management Australia Conference, 4-5 August 2011, Sydney).
- Leadership Seminar for Project Management Institute, Brisbane, 2010.
- Invited to present Leadership seminar to Australian Computer Society, Brisbane, 2009.
Dr. Tuffley is a prolific author of both industry focused and academic publications, with 23 academic and 17 industry publications (books, book chapters, refereed journals and conference papers) as of mid-2012 and more on the way.
Dr. David Tuffley is a professional public speaker and recognized international expert and published author in the fields of Leadership, Software Engineering and Technical Communication.